Tuesday, January 31, 2017

The Importance of Sunscreen

Most assignments given in academic careers have strict subject matter. Honestly, this is the first assignment I've had where I can write about what ever I want and not be wrong. It makes me feel more creative and I love the ability to flow and be organic without the fear of being judged. With that being said, let's get into weekly Thoughts from Lauren. 

Lately I have been taking much better care of my body. I've been exercising more, eating healthier/from home more, and taking better care of my skin and teeth. Up until a month ago, I didn't find it important to use a daily SPF. Now, I carry a small bottle of it in my purse. I had no idea the harsh reality of being in the sun every single day has on our skin until I started doing a little research. It needs to be apart of your daily routine for the following reasons: 

1. It is good for all skin types.
Although people with fairer skin do develop skin cancer easier.

2. ANTI-AGING!!!
Who doesn't want 20s skin when they are in their 40s? It prevents premature aging and leaves your skin looking beautiful. 

3. The sun is still strong, even when it is not sunny.

4. Sun damage is cumulative.
"Building" a tan is not a thing. Each time you are exposed to the sun, it is possible to damage at the cellular level. 

5. Shields from harmful UV rays.

While I do believe wearing sunscreen everyday is important, I think you should also be careful not to use too high of an SPF on a daily basis when you will only be in the sun for a short period of time. Doing so will block your intake of Vitamin D, which we need. I say using an SPF 20-30 is sufficient. If you are going to be out in the sun all day, like at the beach or playing sports, you need to use a really high SPF, wear cover-ups, sunglasses and try to stay in a shady spot during the hours of 10-4. 

We need to take care of our skin. It is still possible to bronze your skin a bit while wearing SPF. It is never too late to start amazing skin care and to start the anti-aging process. Love your skin, love your body. 


1 comment: