Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Beauty Blogging

In the past six months I have slowly transitioned from watching TV to watching Youtube videos. Though I still watch Netflix, I recently canceled my cable subscription because I found it to be inconvenient and I never used it. 

What Youtube videos have began to consume my life? Beauty videos.

I used to be the type of girl that never really wore makeup unless it was a special occasion. Recently I wear makeup generally every other day. I used to think people only wore makeup because they felt poorly about their self-image, or they had a complete lack of confidence. I no longer think this way.

Makeup is a hobby, a passion, and a distraction for me. If I'm sad, I will do my eyeshadow and try to make it has intricate and blended as possible and my mind is off of whatever was upsetting me. There is something rather powerful and oddly beautiful in finding a hobby. Will it ever make me money? No. Will it make me happy and keep me away from the pressures of social media for an hour or two (yes I can spend that long getting lost in the artistry)? Yes. I've felt healthier and happier spending less time on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram comparing myself to others and spending more time working on my art by myself & watching other people's review of products or learning new makeup techniques. 

I'm starting to sound a little cheesy. But the point is I have found something I love and it distracts me and I think its really healthy. I want to find new hobbies that keep me distracted and happy.

Any other makeup-lovers or Youtube watchers out there?

3 comments:

  1. I love this! I personally am not the best at doing make-up, but I enjoy watching them and seeing the transformation. It truly is an art and requires a lot of skill.
    Also, way to go by realizing that people who do their makeup are not insecure. It can be so easy to judge others, but people are just people living their lives and there is no need for judging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love makeup videos!! I don't know how many hours I've spent watching Jaclyn Hill, KathleenLights, etc. It's amazing to see how Youtube have literally launched many beauty vloggers' careers over the years. Just goes to show the power of internet and web users.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter Veronica is a YouTube make-up lover/watcher. Who knew that would be a thing but truth is you can learn anything you are interested in via YT Videos these days. Cool!

    ReplyDelete